Messages Recovered from the HMS Prometheus

These written messages were donated to the museum by a survivor of the HMS Prometheus Submarine incident. 


Day 1 of the Expedition

Dear Anne,

As we all prepare for this expedition, I feel a great apprehension wash over me. The ocean is a great and terrifying place to sail upon, but we have chosen to submerge ourselves beneath its awesome might. Our mission is one of discovery, and although we shall soon dive to depths unknown, I trust that upon our return we will bring knowledge far beyond what man has discovered today. 

To be truly honest, I know not of what we are seeking. We have traveled along the surface of the water to a point in the middle of the Etopo Sea, and using our unique navigational tool, the Doldrum-1, the captain has chosen a point for us to begin our careful descent. 

I will continue to regale our experiences to you as we journey downwards. I know you love stories of the ocean.

Yours truly,
Michael


Day 4 of the Expedition

Dear Anne,

The observations we have been able to make using our monitoring tools have been quite exciting! So much new and wonderful data has been amassed. At first glance, I'm not quite sure of what to make of all of it, but I'm sure that it will all come together at some point. Our cook has prepared a celebratory cake to mark the creation of the first image taken by our subaqueous telescope, the Renaissance Sequitur. I believe I even saw Master Jeeves take a few cursory sips of brandy this morning.

Spirits are high indeed!

Best wishes,
Michael


Day 10 of the Expedition

Anne, 

More images have come in. Many of us have spent hours staring at the various colors and patterns appearing in swirls and spirals, but none of us have determined any answers. With each new finding, I feel myself lose sight of why I chose to join this expedition in the first place. Was it for glory? Riches? Knowledge? 

I can no longer say.

The sea appears to house many things we could not even comprehend, creatures and beings beyond our imagination, even. Often times I cannot distinguish between my deepest nightmares and the most recent scanning results. We have been going through our food supplies much faster than expected, but we have come far enough that there can be no turning back.

I miss you and hope to see you again soon,
Michael


Day 25 of the Expedition

The figures are all swirling together in my mind like a hypnotic icon of madness. Many of the others have fallen prey to its siren call and have begun patrolling the submarine, attempting to bring the remaining crew members into their fold. I have been lucky enough to avoid their gaze and maintain my integrity of mind, but whenever I begin to drift off to sleep I feel myself slipping. I have fashioned a device to keep from falling asleep, as I fear what may happen to me if I am not alert to fend off any dangers.

Perhaps this is to be the fate of all who venture down the path of discovery unprepared, to be lost in a see of meaningless images, never to find the truth.

Shall we meet again,
Michael.


Day 50 of the Expedition

Dear Anne,

Breakthrough. The Doctor on board has revealed something of great importance to me, and I believe I have found the meaning behind these figures. As my own mind calms, I've been able to see the rest of the crew return to sanity as well. The captain has ordered an end to the expedition, and we are immediately to start traveling back towards the surface. This is, of course, of great relief to me, as I believed for a while that I would not live to see the sun. Fate, however, has chosen to shine her lights upon me.

I cannot wait to return home to you.

Love,
Michael

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Message from the Peak of Everest

Zooming in on Journal Club

Reflections on 20.109