Research article update

It's one day after we submitted the research article, and I feel quite exhausted. It's crazy to think that I've written 13 pages of scientific material (greatly guided, of course, by the awesome 20.109 teaching staff). I've definitely never written anything of this scale before, and though it could be significantly improved, I'm still kinda proud of it.

This shouldn't be shocking, but the advice that was given somewhere about giving yourself enough time to be able to put certain ideas aside, chew on them, and then come back to it was very true. When I started trying to draft the research article, I was really confused about the purpose of the scatterplots. My first attempt to make the transition from the GO terms to the scatterplots was cringeworthy. It took a few days of looking at them and visiting office hours and then thinking about it some more before I finally was able to make a (hopefully) logical connection between the two. Even if my transition isn't perfect, it's drastically better than it was before.

So I'll sign off with the advice that was given to me that I should've taken more seriously when I first tried to approach this assignment: give yourself enough time to draft the article, think for a bit, and revisit the material. It takes a while of turning it over in your head before the overarching story becomes apparent.

I'm glad I had this experience, and I'm looking forward to getting feedback on how to improve for next time, when I'm hopefully writing a research paper for a project of my own!

-DR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Message from the Peak of Everest

Zooming in on Journal Club