Research Article Thoughts

Writing a scientific article the second time around was definitely easier, but not exactly easy. Because we weren’t in the classroom to do the experiments ourselves, I felt separated from the data and purpose of our experiment. I tried to use office hours to ask questions, but in the beginning of the module, I felt like I didn’t even have enough base knowledge to craft a coherent question. 

One thing I really appreciated with this research article is that very little background information was given on the biological systems, so we could craft our own story of how the data fit in with the general public and published scientific literature. Instead, during lectures and labs, we learned about how to work with the vast amounts of data that we were collecting from RNAseq and qPCR. I also appreciated the help organizing the paper, because that was something I was most worried and confused about before I thoroughly read the instructions for this assignment. 

Even though I wrote most of the discussion for the first data summary assignment, the discussion for this paper took me the longest to fully comprehend and write. After consulting with a BE communication fellow, I started to realize that the point of the discussion is not just to talk about your own research, but to explain how it fits in with the broader context of the field and show why your results are important. 


Looking back at how much I and the rest of the class have learned this semester so far, I never would have guess we could write an entire research article by ourselves. I feel so much more prepared going into this last module, this summer, and junior year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Message from the Peak of Everest

Zooming in on Journal Club

Reflections on 20.109