Final Reflections by Sarah Acolatse

20.109 was super fun, despite corona!!!

I felt like I learned more about what biological engineering was and got an insight into what research in this field entails. Being able to work with new and innovative research techniques was really fun and rewarding. I felt like I learned the biology behind many commonly used lab techniques and was able to add to my toolbox of skills for my professional career.

Mod 1:
Long hours in the lab and constantly being last in class with Emily was a struggle but manageable because of the great faculty!! I really liked being able to both learn the theory and actually doing the science. It was also cool to see the science we were learning in 7.05 overlapping with what we were doing in 20.109, especially the protein purification section of the module. (My fav module)

Mod 2:
R is my frenemy, however, I lowkey appreciate its ability. I was able to actually know what RNA sequencing really was. Though run code on R was super frustrating, finally being able to create the correct figures was super satisfying. (I did not hate this module :)

Mod 3:
The science behind this module was really interesting and super helpful for our final research proposal. I think I was able to work on my communication, presentation skills, and reading skills (yay growth!!!). I wished there was some form of video visually what was happening in the lab because it was hard for me to keep up with what was happening to the antibodies, yeast, E.coli, etc... I really enjoyed the light work of the Mini-report and being able to end the class with no real heavy stress assignment. (Overall, a great module)

Shout Outs:
Noreen is amazing and amazing. Thank you for making me understand what was going on in the class during office hours!
Becky saved my brain multiple times and I appreciate all the support throughout the class. Thank you for dealing with me and Emily's energy!
Leslie is great for connecting me and Emily to the necessary people and resources for our final research proposal project.

Cheers to the end of the school year!!!

And this is my last blog post!!

Yeet :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Message from the Peak of Everest

Zooming in on Journal Club